Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Inaugural Posting - Buckle Your Seatbelts, It's Going to be a Bumpy Blog

Welcome to Miskatonic Film School.

This blog is the home of William Bibbiani, screenwriter and filmmaker, who hasn't actually sold a script or even completed a short movie in 3 years. So naturally, I know what I'm talking about.

What am I saying? Of course I know what I'm talking about. And so do you. Forget what the pundits say - people are more literate now than ever. They're just literate in film. Think for a moment: Even if you're a casual fan of films and/or television, how many cinematic narratives have you watched in your entire life? If you're counting movies, TV, music videos and even flash cartoons, you're likely to end up in the hundreds if not thousands before you just give up. (Actually, odds are you're going to give up quite a while before that.)

What does watching thousands of movies say about a person? Most would say it means that you have no life. But if you told them that you read thousands of books and short stories, they would be impressed! You'd probably be just as qualified to teach English as whoever your actual English teacher was in high school or college. Since film is an art form, that means you're an expert. You just might not have thought about it a whole lot.

How many times have you watched a movie and recognized a pattern? "Oh, this is the part where the main character is going to do so-and-so." That's you, being smart.

I remember watching Alien vs. Predator for the first time. They get to the disheveled whaling outpost in the middle of Antartica (which we're going to ignore for the moment), and Sanaa Lathan tells everyone to stick together, because it's dangerous out here. So I turn to my best friend, who suffered through the whole sickening experience with me, and said, "Ewan Bremner is going to go off on his own, they're going to build up a lot of suspense, then it's going to turn out to be a penguin or something. Then he's going to turn around and Sanaa Lathan's going to surprise him, and remind him not to go off alone." Within a minute and a half, that's what happened. (He will testify to this.) Okay, in this case that's not as much me being smart as it is the movie sucking, but I think you get my point.

So this blog is for me, and it's for you. It's about film, television, and knowing me, it's probably going to be about comics - the truly maligned art form in Western society. We're all experts, and our opinions do always matter, as long as we're reasonable about how we present them. I just happen to have a blog for them now.

No one is likely to read this, of course. The internet has too many blogs as it is. So I'm just going to use my last sentence to say something stupid because no one will hear it.

Penguins... Damn it, I liked them before they were cool.

William out.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I agree with you! I tink every person has their special niche when it comes to films. It's amazing how much people know about movies through the internet and televesion. I also agree with you on that Alien vs. Predator was very predictable and had a lack of depth to the storyline. I mean there were some good parts here and there, but for the most part it wasn't that good. And here you thought someone other than your mother wouldn't read this. ^_^